Thursday, November 10, 2011

Experience Required

I'd like to start this post with a little story of something I encountered last week...

While on a late night run to Wal-Mart with a friend of mine (we were both in sweatpants, hair tied, and chillin with no makeup on), the urge for a quick bite hit us as we were getting ready to leave. We stopped at the Subway inside of the store and the guy taking our order noticed our sweatshirts which just so happened to be from the university I graduated from. He said he graduated from there last year. As he put our sandwiches in the toaster oven, we continued to have a conversation about the school and life on campus. When my friend and I left, we knew we were thinking the same thing- "this is what a degree gets us; a graveyard shift job making sandwiches?"

Now, not for nothing but I graduated from one of the most expensive private universities in NJ. I have not only a Bachelors, but a Masters degree. Like several of my peers, it is taking me forever to find a job. If it's not that I'm "overqualified" and don't even get the chance to explain that I am willing to negotiate a salary, it's that I have no experience. What the heezy?! How am I supposed to get experience if no one wants to hire me? Let me just tell you this. Looking for a job became a full-time job. Every waking hour that I spend on the computer is dedicated to editing cover letters, sending resumes, and checking my application status to the places I've applied.

I was under the impression that having not one, but two degrees, some relevant experience, and great references was going to be my key to making millions... OK, maybe not millions right away, but definitely making good money. The way I see it now, I feel like I should've just worked a full-time job when I finished high school and looked for different internships to gain the "experience" that everyone seems to be looking for. I would've saved my money, not taken out loans, and been in a different financial situation. I could've even gone to a less expensive school and gotten a bachelor's degree if deemed necessary.

I am fortunate enough that now, after almost a year of searching, I was able to return to the public relations company where I interned last year. It's only a part-time position, but atleast it's directly related to my major and giving me more of the "experience" that I need. Very few of the people that I know who have graduated college have jobs in their field. Some work retail, babysit, work in restaurants, or are administrative assistants of some kind. Right now, we are all taking whatever we can get. Maybe we should've done our research too. How did I go to a school who's annual tuition is $42,000.. but the average starting salary for an entry-level position is less than $35,000? None of this seems to add up... at all. And don't get me started with the phone calls and letters already up my ass asking me to start paying them back.

Why did I feel the need to bring this up? Because some of you out there talk reckless and don't even know the circumstances we are facing. We are all facing tough times.

This is NOT the last time you'll hear me discussing this topic.

2 comments:

  1. Totally with you, was talking to a friend about this exact situation. I got a job but I still feel "un-accomplished" because I am not making a lot and feel like my degree got me nowhere. Even though I am gaining experience, I don't feel like I will be doing my current job forever, which is going to lead me to start all over again when I change professions, so my thing is, WHEN will I be making more money!??!!? ughhhh its terrible :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yup. I mean at this point it's a matter of accepting that things are not gonna be the way we assumed they would once we graduated, but it's still pretty frustrating. It's a battle we're not sure when we're gonna win. All I can say is stay positive and hopefully something will come through sooner than later!

    ReplyDelete